- Windows 10 In S Mode
What Is Windows 10 In S Mode?
If you are a Windows 10 user and unsure of the apps you download, the S mode will keep you away from the insecure apps. When the Windows 10 computer is in the S mode, you can install applications only from the Microsoft Store and browse the web only using the Microsoft Edge browser. While in S mode, Bing is set as the default search engine of Microsoft Edge, which you cannot change. Moreover, you cannot use terminals like PowerShell, Bash, or command Prompt when the computer is in S mode.
There is an option where the computer can run without being in S mode. After switching out of S mode, you can install the apps downloaded from other sources. Understand that you can never get back to the S mode once you switch off the S mode. Some PCs come with the S mode enabled, which you can use for free until you disable it. In case you don’t know if your computer is in the S mode, follow the below steps.
- Click the Start icon and then select the Settings icon.
- In the Settings window, select System and click About.
- Under Windows Specifications, look for the word ‘Windows 10 In S Mode.’ If it is not there, then your computer is not in the S mode.
The S mode kills access to third-party applications and keeps you constrained to the Microsoft Edge and the Bing. If you want to turn off S mode, the below steps will help you.
- In the Settings window, go to the Update & Security section.
- Click the Activation tab from the left panel and select Go to the Store on the right panel.
- Under Switch out of S mode, click the Get button to opt-out of Windows 10 In S Mode.