- My WD Passport Unrecognised
Why My WD Passport Has Not Recognized?
WD Passport is one of the most trusted portable hard drives that makes your data storage and management job easier than before. Using this driver, you can copy, paste, and share your important photos, files, and videos from one computer to another. It comes with a slim and stylish design and features the WD Backup software and password protection. The WD Passport drive is compatible with the Windows 10 OS. But, some Windows 10 users have encountered an issue with it. The issue is that the WD Passport has not recognized on the Windows 10 computer. If you’re also encountering the same issue, then try the simple methods given below to fix it.
Method 1: Check the connectivity status
As the first step of troubleshooting, check the connectivity status between the drive and your Windows 10 computer.
- Check if the USB cable is plugged properly at both ends.
- If not, unplug and reconnect the cable.
- Be sure that you’re not using a damaged cable for the connection.
- In case you find the cable to be damaged, replace it with a new one and then check whether the drive is recognized on your Windows 10 computer.
- If not, perform the next troubleshooting method given below.
Method 2: Try connecting the drive to a different port
- Check whether the port that you’re using for the connectivity is causing the issue.
- Try to connect the WD Passport drive to an alternative port.
- If the drive is recognized by your computer when connected to the alternative port, then the problem is with the port that you have used earlier.
- In case the WD drive is not recognized on the Windows 10 computer even after connecting it to the different port, then perform the next troubleshooting method given below.
Method 3: Run the Hardware troubleshooter
Sometimes running the hardware troubleshooter may resolve this issue.
- Open the Settings window on your Windows 10 computer.
- Locate and click on the Troubleshoot option.
- Now, go to the Hardware and Devices section.
- Click on the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Finish the troubleshooting process by following the on-screen instructions.
Method 4: Adjust the path & drive letter
In some cases, there is a chance for the connected drive to be displayed in the Disk Management window even when it is not shown in the My PC window. So, you can use the Disk Management window to make the unrecognizable drive recognizable. The following instructions explain the same.
- In the search box on your Windows computer, type Run.
- Now, the Run dialog box will open. (Note: You can also press the Windows and R buttons together to open the Run dialog box).
- In the Run field, type the diskmgmt.msc command and tap Enter.
- Now, a window titled Disk Management will open.
- Select your WD My Passport drive and right-click on it.
- Click on the Change Drive Letter & path option followed by the Add button.
- Now, choose the desired letter for your WD drive from the drop-down menu given.
- Click OK.
- Now, check if the WD Passport drive is recognized by your Windows 10 computer.
- If not, perform the next method.
Method 5: Disable the security software
- Check if the security software installed on your Windows 10 computer is causing the issue.
- If yes, disable it temporarily, and then connect the drive to your computer. If you need remote assistance regarding WD Passport has not recognized issue, call us.