- USB Device Not Recognized On WD My Book
Why My WD My Book USB Device Not Recognized?
Is your WD My Book USB device not recognized by your Windows computer? Then there might be issues with the USB cable connecting the hard drive to the computer. Check the connected USB cable at both end ports. You can also try connecting the USB cable to a different USB port on your computer. To troubleshoot the issue further, go through the steps given below.
Solution 1: Turn on USB Root Hub
- On your Windows computer, click the Start menu and type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the search field. Hit Enter to open the Device Manager.
- Alternatively, you can open it by right-clicking the Start menu and selecting the Device Manager option from the pop-up menu.
- Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers tab in the Device Manager window.
- Give a right-click on the USB Root Hub tab and select Properties.
- Click the Power Management tab and deselect the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power checkbox.
- Click OK and open the Properties window of the USB Root Hub.
- Click the Power Management tab again and select the checkbox to turn on the USB Root Hub.
- Restart your computer and check if the problem has been resolved.
- If your WD My Book device is still not recognized by your computer, go to the next solution.
Solution 2: Change your drive letter
- Start by right-clicking the My Computer or This PC shortcut icon on the desktop.
- Select the Manage option to open the Disk Management window.
- Locate and right-click your external hard drive.
- Select the Change drive letter and path option.
- After reviewing the existing drive letters, assign a new drive letter for your WD My Book device. This will fix the problem with your hard drive on the Windows computer.
Solution 3: Make Device Manage to show all the hidden devices
- On your computer, open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows + R shortcut keys.
- Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the Run dialog box and hit the Enter key to open Device Manager.
- Click on View in the Device Manager window and select the Show hidden devices option.
- Expand all the available nodes by clicking the plus symbol.
- Next, restart your computer and reconnect the hard drive.
If your WD My Book USB device not recognized even after trying these troubleshooting steps, contact us to help you find the actual cause and troubleshoot the device.
All views on this site are made by the best of our knowledge and do not represent any thoughts of other sites. Using this website, you can understand how to setup, use and troubleshoot your product. Also, the services provided by us are limited to customer requests and does not replicate any other businesses.