- Laptop Not Detecting Headphones?
Laptop Not Detecting Headphones?
Basically, headphones are a pair of small loudspeaker drivers that can be plugged into a computer, laptop, smartphone, mp3 player, or other devices. When you plug your headphones into your laptop, and it says that there are no headphones detected. You don’t have to panic at all! This is a commonly reported issue where users complain that they cannot hear anything even though the speakers are working fine. Luckily there are various ways to fix the issue. Just follow the below troubleshooting methods in order to get rid of the laptop not detecting headphones problem.
Fix 1: Look into the overall connections:
- Check if the headphone wires are torn out.
- If the wires are not damaged, then try to connect the same headphone to another laptop.
- If it doesn’t work, then the fault is with your headphone.
- If it works fine, then there is some system glitch.
Fix 2: Pair the headphones once again:
Headphones tend to disconnect at times due to various interferences. So, you need to manually reconnect it to your PC.
- Press the Windows and I keys at the same time to open the Windows settings page.
- Navigate to Devices > Bluetooth and other devices.
- Select your headphones.
- Click the Remove device button.
- On your headset, long-press the Power button and wait until the LED light changes or shows up differently. Now, reconnect the headphone using the standard Bluetooth method.
Note: Ensure that your headphones are compatible with your PC’s Operating Systems. If your PC only supports Bluetooth 4.0, but your Bluetooth headphone is 5.0, then it might not work properly.
Fix 3: Change the audio format:
- Right-click on the Windows Start icon.
- Open the Control Panel window.
- Click on Hardware and Sound.
- Open Sound Settings.
- Select the headphone from the output device.
- Click on Device Properties > Additional device properties.
- Switch to the Advanced tab.
- Change the default format and click on the test button.
- Now check if you can hear the audio with your headphones.
- You can also use Restore Defaults to know if it has fixed the headphone audio issue.
Fix 4: Reinstall your headphones drivers:
If your headphones come with generic drivers, try reinstalling the driver offered by them.
- Use Windows + X, and then press the M key.
- The above command will open the device manager window.
- Expand Audio inputs and outputs.
- Locate the headphone option and right-click on it.
- You can either uninstall or update the driver.
- If you uninstall the driver, make sure to reinstall them.
Fix 5: Make sure that the headphones are set as enabled:
- Right-click on the Speaker icon.
- Click the Open Sound Settings.
- In the Sound Settings window, click Manage sound devices.
- Cross-check whether your headphones are on the disabled list.
- If you find the headphones under the disabled list, then enable it right away.
- Click Choose your output device from the drop-down menu.
- Select your headphones from the list.
Fix 6: Run the audio troubleshooter:
- Go to Settings > update and Security > Troubleshoot.
- Locate the Playing Audio troubleshooter.
- Click on Run the troubleshooter.
- Choose Headphones and click Next.
- Follow the wizard and fix the problem.
- Click Play test sounds.
- However, the wizard will instruct on what to do in order to fix the headphones not connecting problem.
- As an alternate step, you can restart the Audio services on your PC.
Fix 7: Disable front panel jack detection:
- Press the Windows and R keys to open the Run command.
- Go to the Control Panel window.
- Set view as Large icon.
- Select Sound.
- Find Realtek HD Audio Manager and then click on it.
- Go to Connector settings.
- Check the Disable front panel jack detection option.
There is a good possibility that one of these handy troubleshooting steps will do the job. We hope that the laptop not detecting headphones issue is solved by now. If not, then it would be highly appreciated if you contact our technicians.
All views on this site are made by the best of our knowledge and do not represent any thoughts of other sites. Using this website, you can understand how to setup, use and troubleshoot your product. Also, the services provided by us are limited to customer requests and does not replicate any other businesses.