- Upgrade or Switch Linux Distros Without Losing Data
How to Upgrade or Switch Linux Distros Without Losing Data
Linux Distros or Linux distribution is an OS created using a collection of Linux software. You can download the Linux Distros software package online. Most of the people are facing some issues while upgrading the Linux Distros OS on their devices.Generally, when you perform a clean upgrade of the Linux Distros OS, all the data stored on your computer will be erased. This is the default course of action. If you ask, is there is a method to upgrade Linux Distros without losing data? Yes, you can. It is possible to avoid the loss of your data during the upgrade process by creating a separate division. Continue reading to know more about the procedure.
- While switching from Windows to Linux Distros, make sure to select the partition setup that you wish to keep on your hard drive.
- If your OS is Linux, then most probably you may have one or two partitions such main and swap partitions.
- Now, create additional extra-formatted partitions of your desire.
- Create two partitions, such as root (first) and home.
- Store all your personal data in the home folder.
- As the first step of the Linus Distros OS upgrade, you will be asked to delete the main partition.
- Don’t touch the second partition.
- When you are ready to install the Linux OS on your computer, reformat the first partition with the help of the installer.
- Mount the swap or second partition on the home folder.
- Make sure to set a username and password.
- Now, re-install the applications.
- When prompted to allocate space for the two partitions, make sure to allocate enough space to each of them.
- The root partition usually stores all the application details. So if its storage capacity is low, then you can’t install too many applications.
- Similarly, if the second partition’s storage space is too small, then you will not be able to store all your personal files.
- If you have already installed the Linux OS on your computer, then follow the instructions given below to activate the setup you need.
- First, download the Live environment ISO.
- After downloading it, burn the downloaded ISO file to a CD/DVD or write it to a USB drive.
- Now, perform the switching process.
- Make sure to re-install the Linux OS on the root partition.
- After completing the process, you can use the Linus Distros OS.
- Note: Try to take a backup of all your personal data if required.
Contact us to get remote assistance on the same.