- Format the external hard drive for Mac
How To Format The Drive For Mac And Windows?
Formatting a drive seems to be a pretty straight forward process. Formatting basically means resetting the volumes on your hard drive, thus erasing all the data that are present in the drive. The output after formatting the hard drive for both the Mac and Windows is quite the same, but the steps will vary. Carry out these steps how to format the drive for Mac and windows.
Format drive on mac os:
If you want to format an external drive on your Mac, please follow the steps as given below.
- Turn on your Mac computer.
- Connect the USB cable to the external hard drive and to the Mac computer.
- Open the Disk Utility option that is in-built in the Mac computer (CMD button + Spacebar).
- The Disk Utility window will now open.
- On the left side of the pane, you will see two sections.
- Click the External device section and select the external device that is connected to the Mac computer.
- Click the Erase button located on the top pane of the Disk Utility window.
- Click the Partition option located right next to the Erase option.
- You can now give a name for the partition and select the ExFAT option from the Format drop-down list.
- Click the Erase button to finish.
- Follow these steps we can execute how to format the drive for mac and windows.
The hard drive will be erased, formatted, and can be used with your Mac computer.
Format drive on windows os:
- Turn on your Windows computer.
- Connect the USB cable to the external hard drive and to the Windows computer.
- Click the Windows (Start) icon.
- In the search bar, type Disk Management and press the Enter button.
- You can also open the Disk Management window from the Control panel.
- Click Control panel from the Windows (Start) menu.
- Click the Administrative Tools option and click the Create and format hard disk partitions option.
- The Disk Management window will now open.
- Scroll down to the Disk 2 option.
- Right-click on the open space and select the option New Simple Volume.
- By using these steps we can execute how to format the drive for mac and windows.
- Choose the volume size from the drop-down selection and click the Next button.
- Click the Assign the following drive letter radio button and select a letter for the drive from the drop-down list.
- Click the Next button.
- In the Format Partition window, click the Format radio button.
- Select the ExFAT option from the File System drop-down list.
- Click the checkbox for the option Perform a Quick Format.
- Click the Next button.
- You can now assign the volume a new name. Once done, click the Next button.
- Finally, click the Finish button and the drive will be formatted.
If you need a remote assistance regarding how to format the drive for mac and windows. Click the call button available on the screen.