Format Drive on Windows 10
How to Format a Drive on Windows 10
If you buy a new Windows PC, you need to format a dive before you store files on it. The partition will help in clean installation of OS. Read the document below and get the solution for how to format a drive on Windows 10 PC.
The Quick Steps to Format a Drive on Windows 10 Computer
- Open the Disk management using the Power User Menu in Windows 10.
- Identify the Drive from the list to which you are going to do formatting.
- Initialize Disk if the drive you want to format is not found on the list.
- Right-click or tap & hold on the drive and choose Format from the sub-menu.
- Choose the Filesystem as NFTS unless you are sure about other types.
- Using the Volume Lable, change the name of the drive.
- Set the allocation or cluster size as Default.
- Perform a quick format and the drive will get formatted.
The Elaborate Steps to Format the Drive on Windows 10 PC
- Follow the procedure given in the document for how to format a drive on Windows 10 PC. If you have bought a drive to use it on Window, it is important to format it before you begin storing the files.
- Make sure if your drive is clean and free from Virus and Malware. If you are trying to set up hardware which was previously used for other OS and now you can modify the hard drive set up for Windows 10.
- So if you are going to format the drive which is already partitioned then continue with the procedure. Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut key and the Power User Menu. Select Disk Management from the menu appears.
- You will get the list of drive partitioned, right-click on the drive you want to format and then choose Format. It is significant to select the right drive to format. Double-check the drive, if any data is present inside it will be removed completely.
- Use the Volume label, to rename the drive. By default, Windows will assign the New Volume if it is a new drive. The Footer next thing you have to choose is the File System Type.
- It is recommended to choose NTFS as the default file system type. But, if you are sure about other types, you can choose as per your preference. You can either perform a quick format option or full format to the drive selected.
- It is advised to choose the full format option. Enable file and folder compression option to the drive. Tap on the OK button. The drive you selected will get formatted completely. The status of the drive will be changed to Healthy.