- Fix HDD Issues On Dell Computer
How To Fix HDD Issues On Dell Computer?
If the HDD (Hard Disk Drive) or SSD (Solid State Drive) on your Dell computer keeps on troubling you, follow the information provided in this article to fix the issue.
Before diving deep into the troubleshooting methods, we suggest ways to find out if your HDD is posing problems.
- If your HDD has an issue, you may see error messages. For example, Hard Drive not Detected, Data error Reading Drive, No Boot Partition Found, No Boot Device Found, Seek error – Sector not found, and more.
- Your Dell computer may freeze, displaying a blank or black screen and a blinking cursor.
- The computer may not boot into the operating system.
- You may find OS-related error messages while booting, e.g., Missing Operating System.
- You may hear some clicking, grinding, or whining noises from your HDD.
FIX HDD ISSUES ON DELL COMPUTER
If you find your hard drive to be causing the issue, you can try the below methods to fix the problem.
Method 1: Perform A Hard Reset
- Turn off your Dell computer. Press the Power button for 10 seconds.
- Disconnect the power cable (desktops) and remove the battery (laptops with removable battery).
- Disconnect the computer peripherals, such as printers, scanners, webcams, external drives, media cards, and others (except the mouse and keyboard).
- Press the Power button for 15-20 seconds approximately to drain the remaining power.
- Now, put back the battery (for laptops) and connect the power cable (desktops).
- Turn on your computer.
If the issue gets resolved, you can keep using your device normally like before. If not, try the following method.
Method 2: Perform a Hardware Diagnostic Test
To check if your system has a hardware issue, you can run a hardware diagnostic test. You have two ways for doing it, integrated diagnostics and online diagnostics. In case your Dell computer cannot boot into Windows, you can run a preboot diagnostic test on the computer by following these instructions.
- Turn on your computer and keep hitting the F2 key repeatedly several times until you find the One Time Boot Menu.
- Choose the Diagnostics option and press Enter.
- Now, follow the instructions to finish the preboot diagnostic test.
- If the test passes, there is no issue with the hard drive.
- If the test fails, make a note of the error code, service tag, and validation code, and contact us.
Method 3: Disconnect All External Devices
In some cases, the external devices connected to your computer may cause an issue with booting the OS. So, you need to disconnect any external devices (USB drives, hubs, or other hardware) connected to the computer. Restart the Dell computer and see if the issue has been fixed.
Method 4: Try Updating The Bios And Drivers
Any computer manufacturer would advise updating the device drivers and BIOS. These updates can enhance your system or help to keep your computer software updated and compatible with system modules. So, timely updates help to maintain the system’s stability.
Method 5: Repair Missing Or Corrupted Files
- Turn on your computer and boot into Windows.
- If you can’t boot into Windows, enter safe mode with networking.
- Click Start and search for “cmd.”
- Right-click Command Prompt.
- Choose Run as administrator.
- In the Command Prompt window, input sfc /scannow and press the Enter key.
- Wait for the SFC (System File Checker) to scan and verify the files.
- When finished, restart the computer and see if the issue is resolved.
- If not, enter into safe mode with networking once again.
- Go to the Command Prompt and enter the below line.
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Press Enter.
Note: You require an active internet connection (Ethernet connection). Safe mode with networking does not support a Wi-Fi connection.
- The DISM tool helps download and replace the missing or corrupted Windows system files.
- Once repaired, restart the computer.
We hope you got an answer for how to fix HDD issues on Dell computers. If you still can’t fix the issue, feel free to contact us.
All views on this site are made by the best of our knowledge and do not represent any thoughts of other sites. Using this website, you can understand how to setup, use and troubleshoot your product. Also, the services provided by us are limited to customer requests and does not replicate any other businesses.