- Computer Factory Reset
How To Factory Reset A Computer?
Resetting your computer to the factory defaults will remove all your installed programs and files. It is better to create a backup of all your data before performing a factory reset. The step-by-step instructions to perform a factory reset a computer.
Method 1 – Resetting Windows 10 Using Built-In Reset
- Launch the Settings screen on your Windows 10 computer.
- Select the Update & Security option.
- Click the Recovery tab in the left panel.
- In the main panel, navigate to the Reset this PC section and click the Get Started button.
- This will Launch the Reset this PC window displaying the following two options.
- Keep my files (Your personal data will be retained)
- Remove everything (Removes all your files and apps)
- If you select the Remove Everything option, click Change Settings and turn on both the Data erasure and Data drives options.
- Click the Confirm option to proceed.
- If you select the Keep my files option, click the ‘List of apps to be removed’ link.
- Now, you can see a list of applications that will be uninstalled after factory reset a computer.
- Click Reset and wait until the process completes.
Method 2 – Resetting Windows 10 Using Fresh Start
- Launch Settings, choose the Update & Security option, and click the Recovery tab.
- Navigate to the More Recovery Options section and click the ‘Learn how to start fresh with a clean installation of Windows’ link.
- Select the Get Started option when the Fresh Start window opens.
- This process will not remove any of your personal files. But, all the settings will be reset to the factory defaults.
Method 3 – Resetting Windows 10 From Boot Menu
- Click the Update & Security option on the Settings screen.
- Navigate to the Recovery tab in the left panel.
- In the main panel, go to the Advanced Startup section and click the Restart Now button.
- Alternatively, hold the Shift key and select the Restart option from the Power menu.
- The Troubleshoot screen will open; choose the Reset This PC option.
- This will factory reset a computer on Windows 10.