How to enable duplex printing?
What is duplex printing?
- Multifunctional printers support Duplex printing feature.
- The feature allows you to print on both sides of the paper.
- The printers come with reversing automatic document feeder that flips the paper after printing on one side.
- If your printer doesn’t have an automatic feeder, then you can manually flip the paper.
- Duplex printing is used to print books, magazine, newspaper, etc.
Enable duplex printing
The modern printers support automatic duplex printing. You have to enable the settings or turn the feature on to take a print on both sides of the sheet.
How to enable duplex printing in Windows?
- Complete installing the correct system software for your printer.
- Go to the Control Panel and identify the printer under Devices & Printers section.
- Right click on the printer and choose Printing Preferences from the submenu.
- Click the Finishing tab and select the checkbox Print on Both Sides.
- Make other necessary changes and click OK. Click Print to begin printing on both sides.
How to enable duplex printing in Mac?
- To allow duplex printing in Mac, make the change to the print properties.
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
- Now look for Print & Fax option and select your printer from the left pane of the window.
- Click Options & Supplies and a new window will appear on your Mac system screen.
- You can find the Duplex Unit option. Enable its checkbox and close the window.
Turning off duplex printing
Enable the print options based on the nature of the print job. Turn off the duplex printing feature if you are not going to use that. Read the steps below for more information.
How to turn off duplex printing on mac?
- If you want to print on single side and turn off the duplex printing option, do the steps below.
- Open a word document on Mac. Click on File — > Print or use Ctrl + P keyboard shortcut key.
- In the Print window, click on Copies and Pages option from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the Layout options and then left click on the drop-down next to Two-Sided.
- Select Off and then click Print. The duplex printing will get turned off.
How to turn off duplex printing on Windows?
- Navigate to Devices 7 Printers by clicking on the start button.
- Identify the printer in for which you want to turn off the duplex printing option.
- Right-click on the printer and a sub menu will appear. Choose Printing Preferences from it.
- Click on the Finishing Tab which is also called as a Basic tab.
- Uncheck on ”Print on both sides” box to disable duplex printing feature.
What is manual duplex printing?
- Duplex printing refers to print on both sides of the paper.
- Many printers include reverse automatic document feeder (RADF) in-built.
- The RADF will automatically flip the page to another side for printing.
- The manual duplex printing involves human effort in reversing the paper.
- Once the paper prints on one side it will display instruction to insert the paper to print on the other side.
How to do manual duplex printing?
- On the Print window navigate to the Advanced tab.
- Choose manual Duplex printing mode and the Paper Source to be Tray 1.
- Load the plain paper and press Print to print the even pages first.
- Remove the printer pages and reinsert it into the input tray with the print side down and click Print.
- Now, the printer will print the odd pages automatically.
What is simplex and duplex printing?
- A Simplex printing is printing on only one side of the paper.
- A Duplex printing supports printing on both sides of the paper.
- The orientation of the simplex printing will not change while the duplex printing has three orientations.
- The Duplex long-edge orientation is for portrait documents and the short-edge for landscape documents.
- The Default is an undefined orientation allows you to set plex mode.
What is the difference between manual and automatic duplex printing?
|Manual Duplex Printing||Automatic Duplex Printing.|
|Manual Duplex printing does not involve automatic document feeder (ADF)||Automatic Duplex printing can be done through ADF.|
|The printer prints even pages first and then you have to reverse the page to print the odd pages.||You don’t need to flip the pages to print on another side as the Reverse ADF will automatically flip the pages to the other side.|
|The screen will provide instruction, and you have to follow the same to flip the pages to the other side.||The printer itself will do all the work and does not involve any manual effort.|
|If you load the paper incorrectly, then the sides may, and resources will get waste.||No problem with automatic printing as the sensor itself makes everything for you.|
Why is duplex printing greyed out?
- Duplex printing may gray out for a various reason.
- Read the manual and confirm if your printer supports duplex printing.
- Check the current status of the printer driver software and also the Apple updates.
- If the software is outdated then navigate to the official website.
- Enter the operating system type and version. Check for the updates.
- Download and install the full-feature driver by following the instruction on-screen.
- Go to the Printing Preferences and confirm if the duplex printing feature is enabled.
- Open a document and try to print on both sides.
Why is duplex printing not working?
- Look on a few cases and find why duplex printing is not working.
- The duplexer should be installed in your printer to support printing on both sides.
- Check under the image transfer unit for duplex, if not found purse a one and install it.
- Check the driver software settings. Go to Properties and click on the Device Settings tab.
- Look under the Installable option if the duplex unit is set to Available. The paper type should be Plain Paper other than this labels, card stock is not supported for duplex printing.
- Restart the printer and try duplex printing again.