- External Optical Drive
Why The External Optical Drive Will Not Work In Windows 10?
External optical drives are used to read and write data on optical discs. If your external optical drive will not work in Windows 10 computer, follow the troubleshooting steps given below.
Solution 1: Check the connection
To fix your external drive issue, ensure that it is correctly connected to your computer’s port. Make sure to use a standard USB cable to connect your external optical drive to your computer.
Solution 2: Update DVD/CD-ROM drives in Device Manager
- On your Windows 10 computer, right-click the Start menu available at the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Select the Device Manager option from the pop-up menu to open the Device Manager window.
- Alternatively, open the Quick Access menu by pressing the Windows + X shortcut keys and click on Device Manager to open the Device Manager window.
- Navigate to the left side panel of your Device Manager window and expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives.
- Give a right-click on your optical drive and select the Update Driver option.
- Choose the automatic update option to install the latest update for your optical driver automatically. Doing so will fix your external optical drive will not work in Windows 10 issue.
Solution 3: Use the Hardware troubleshooter
- On your Windows 10 computer, launch the Settings app by pressing the Windows + I shortcut keys.
- Click the Update & security tab in the Settings window and select Troubleshoot from the left-side panel.
- Under Troubleshoot, select Hardware and Devices and click the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and wait until the troubleshooter detects and fixes the problem.
- Once finished, reboot your computer and check if the external optical drive will not work in Windows 10 problem has been resolved.